Thursday, July 21, 2005

Praying


"What we think we need may not be our direct needs" - I know that God will meet my needs and the needs of the people if he sees that its a real need of ours and that his will can never be twarthed or flawed. That means God will never let evil get its way in the end.

Its so sad that people now sees prayer as mainly a "seeking help from God" thing. If I were to take the concept of prayer that everyone is proposing and apply it into my life then I really question the need for praying then. Yeah seriously I sometimes do. Like when i'm praying for people's safety and needs, etc. I keep thinking that since everything will ultimatly flow in line with the will of God and that since we knows our every thoughts, then why pray when God, in his timing will give when He sees that its our needs, even if we don't ask for it. Sometimes I really hate it when I'm asked to lead prayer groups when I myself sees no point in praying.

But I also figured that its only human to cry out (lament) to God. Like how little babies cry out to their parents. I know that prayer means more then a seeking help thing. Prayer at its core, means communication. And communication inculdes lamentations and crying out too.

When I was thinking deep about prayer I realised that there is actually no such thing as prayer. If you haven't realised, worship at its core means communication too. Worship envelops prayer. So then why do people still think that prayer and worship are two seperate things? To frame the question more accurately - why do prayer exist then?!

We see that Jesus himself is a example of what prayer is. Whenever he prayed he submitted himself to his father's will. He also asked knowingly that he will not get. "Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done." Thus in doing this he also showed that he is also human. He lamented.

So then I concluded that prayer is a term for a prelude to worship. When praying, we will come to a realisation that we can actually do nothing to change anything. Prayer helps us to detrone ourselves and it is only when we are detroned from our own throne then worship can begin. That meaning, if you are still the king of your own world after praying, you haven't prayed. Thus you are not ready and cannot enter into the worship dimension.

So actually now I see no point in praying for anything. But I want to be proven wrong. I don't wanna lead another prayer team because I'm told to lead them in praying for something. Oh someone please correct me. BUT, if I'm not wrong that means the people haven't learnt what is real prayer and true worship. We will then seriously need to educate the church if any of us wants to see revival coming in.

4 Comments:

Blogger sloshblob said...

hey.
i just remembered a while ago when i lost steam in praying for the EA trippers. and i remembered that the reason i lost steam was because i felt that everything was in God's hands. all i need to do is just 'have the heart'.

ya. my thoughts, but still no progress...

Saturday, July 23, 2005 12:14:00 AM  
Blogger matt said...

Yeah precisely, everything is in God's hand. Then why are we praying in repetition as if we need to fulfill a quota before God can bless us. As if we can twist God's arm. As if our amount of prayers can do anything to change the will of God.

Saturday, July 23, 2005 5:50:00 PM  
Blogger ser said...

hey guys,
perhaps reading again matt 6:5-14 will help.

try. =)

Sunday, July 24, 2005 2:07:00 AM  
Blogger matt said...

Ah!!! Thanks serene, good point. Matthew 6:5-14 talks about our attitude when we come before God in prayer. Note the emphasis is not on the rewards of praying but rather on how you seek God. v9-v14 talks about submission to God and his character. So you see, praying is all about submission and not about the "asking for". Prayer helps us to detrone ourselves and it is only when we are detroned from our own throne then worship can begin.
---
"And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him."

So yeah my question is not answered yet. Why pray for something as if God doesn't know what our needs are and that we need to remind him? Thanks for the comment serene.

Sunday, July 24, 2005 2:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home