Thursday, April 13, 2006

On time

I had an interesting colleague when I was working back in my studio. Because of the nature of our work we always work overtime and sometimes get off work at 11pm. So these are the times when we get our free cab ride home. So as I hop on a cab, I asked my colleague if he is getting one too. He said no and the reason being that he is not in a hurry. Somehow his reply has been sticking with me for so long and I can even remember it so vividly till now. When I heard that from him, something inside me goes wow because I really want that mindset.

I guess I really need to loosen up on my concept of time. Ever since I got back from Indonesia I’ve been cabing around alot. I haven't been very patient with the buses. Every time I decided to save some money I would end up spending half an hour waiting and waiting and it’s really irritating. Half an hour for $10? Is my time really worth so much yet? I really need to change in this area.

I really love traveling. I like to be in the observation mode. I like the sight of everyday life and most importantly alot of times God will remind me of alot of things I normally wouldn't have. But all these wouldn't happen if I’m not in the "mood". I realize that there are many things that shape our mood for the day, and if we can control those things then we can control our mood. I believe that mood can be trained. Like for example leaving the waking up earlier and leaving the house half an hour earlier for every meeting. This frees us up to wait and not hurry around.

Isn't this true with our Quiet Time as well? I have realized that the prerequisite of observation is a still spirit. How can I come to God like a rushing wind? The consciousness of time (or rather the lack of it) during our QT actually robs us from more of God. That’s why God tells the psalmist to be still and know that he is God. I believe that stillness, like mood can be trained. Can I too, in all my busyness, be still and in doing so show that God is more important then what I am busy with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home